i was driving aimlessly after school with the intention to bake but i had absolutely no idea what to bake! Doesn’t it happen to u all? Maybe it’s just me! HAHA 😀
To celebrate the long weekend, i decided to go with bread, using tangzhong method to be exact since i had all the time in the world. alright! Maybe not! i just had a little more time on hand before heading back to my assignments and upcoming tests! boring i know 😡
Cranberry cream cheese bun popped up in my mind and i thought that shall be it! Headed to TOTT to grab a block of cream cheese and headed home. *guilty of hanging around a little longer than i would need to and buying another bunch of nic nacs!
*self reminder: i need to stop buying kitchen/baking stuffs! Than again, i went crazy on thurs at the Le Creuset family sales! hmmm….
Back to the bread before i digress any further! This is a really simple & fun recipe which produces a very fluffy & soft bread!
As for the cream cheese, it’s not as dreamy as what barcode bakery has, doesn’t melt as much! I’m still working on that to see if i can achieve it! But, i’ll settle for this anytime since it’s easy to make and i wouldn’t have to battle the crazy road traffic in singapore just to get it from barcode 🙂
(Yields 18 40g dough)
- 50gm/ 1/3 cup bread flour
- 250ml/ 1cup water (could be replaced by milk, or 50/50 water and milk)
- 50g Cranberries, soaked in water for 30mins to soften
- 2½ cups bread flour (Prepare a little extra to set aside. Should the dough get too sticky, just add sparingly)
- 3tbsp+2tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 56gm egg (equals to 1 large egg)
- 7gm/1tbsp+1tsp milk powder
- 125ml/ ½cup milk
- 120gm tangzhong**(use half of the tangzhong you make from above)
- 5 to 6gm/2 tsp instant yeast
- 30gm butter (cube it and let it soften to room temperature)
** Should you only be doing this recipe, just half the tangzhong recipe above, you will get 120g)
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 50g Butter
- 80g Icing Sugar
- 250g Cream Cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 20g Corn flour
- Mix flour in water well without any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently with a whisk to prevent over cooking/ burning the TZ
- The mixture will thicken as you stir and once you notice some “lines” appear in the mixture for every stir you make with the spoon. It’s done. (i use a thermometer for that, or you can eye ball it)
- Transfer into clean bowl and cover with cling wrap to prevent it from drying (Otherwise, you could leave it in the fridge and bring it back to room temperature before using)
Cream Cheese Filling :
- Cream (A) until well combined.
- Add (B) and cream till well blended
- Add (C), cream till smooth
- Add (D) and mix till well blended
- Refrigerate till firm.
- Combine all dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl and make a well in the center
- Whisk and combine all wet ingredients: milk, egg, tangzhong and add them to the dry ingredients
- Knead until you get a dough shape and gluten has developed, then knead in the butter. (i use my trusty kitchenaid for this! it’s too messy working with my hands as i have a relatively high palm temperature)
- Throw in your cranberries
- Keep kneading until the dough is smooth, not sticky and elastic (till you pass the windowpane test)
- Knead the dough into a ball shape & place in a greased bowl and cover with a wet towel or cling wrap. Let it proof till it’s doubled in size
- Transfer to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide the dough into 40g portions. Knead into ball & cover with cling wrap, let it rest for 15 minutes
- Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling pin & pipe generous portion of cream cheese filling in the center of the dough and wrap and seal the edges of the dough to form a ball. (make sure ur cream cheese filling is firm, otherwise, you will get a watery mess *not pretty* and very little cream cheese in ur bun)
- Space out filled dough on a baking tray. Press down the dough with a second baking sheet. Let it proof like that for 60 mins
- Transfer the baking tray with pressing tray into the oven and bake at 170C for 12mins
- Remove from oven, remove the pressing tray and allow it to cool
A fully risen dough to double it size!
Cut out the dough to desired size. This recipe yields 18 40g dough
Use flour sparingly, if you get pass the windowpane stage when kneading, you should not have too much issues with sticky dough. Just lightly dust your rolling pin if necessary
Do let me know your outcome should you try the recipe!
Happy Baking 😀