I’m back! Been really busy with tests & assignments! Finally took the sat off to clear up some blog webs here. i own many instagrammers recipes *paiseh
Butter cake! Something that sounds really easy to make but at the same time, it isn’t as easy as what it sounds! There’s lot of science behind getting a flat and crack-less cake. i’m not gonna go into the science part, but 1 advice for all doing this cake, dodgy butter gives you dodgy cake! Period! There’s all sorts of butter out there in the market, but i would advise getting a decent butter. SCS, goldenchurn, elle & vire and a couple others. Buttercup is terrible! don’t ever use that! Any butter from phoon huat is fine too.
Other than the butter aspect, everything else is really easy in getting this cake done!
A really luscious butter cake!
(Adapted from Ms SK Ng)
- 230gm salted butter
- 200gm eggs
- 50gm & 150gm sugar
- 200gm self raising flour
- 60ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven at 170C). Prepare a 8 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
- Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl (6 cup capacity)Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
- Cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy (KA speed 2-4 ). Put in vanilla seeds and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
- Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance of egg whites in and FOLD.
- Pour batter into pan and level.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. (I reduced to 150C for the last 15 minutes because the top seems to be getting dark)
I did the creaming of butter & whisking of egg whites simultaneously. It makes things easier for me. if i were to cream the butter first, i’m afraid i would get a oily bowl and my whites will not whip properly. Vice versa, if i whip the white first, my concern’s that it’s gonna water. Either way don’t really work well for me, so i rather do it together! haha 😀 You all could do it separately or if you have extra mixing bowls, it’s fine too..
Get ur hands on this recipe & give it a go. This recipe yields a really buttery & moist cake. My kind of thing!
Sorry for the lack of pictures! Totally a late night bake. was done at 2am & was really lazy..
Happy Baking 😀