Egg tarts (蛋挞) has been on my to bake list since forever and i never found a recipe that i thought was worth a try. i wanted something that wouldn’t involve the water and oil dough. Too much job there, till the day i’m very free, i might give that a try 🙂 There have been so much rave about this Hei MaMa recipe and fellow instagrammers have been enticing me with their tarts, and i felt the need to get down to one!
Speaking about this recipe, i thought it was really good, using the rubbing in method for the dough, it gave the dough a really buttery, sort of flaky dough (nothing compared to the water and oil dough), but something that could be done in like an hour or so. Also, a really smooth custardy filling which was way better than many egg tart that we get commercially! *plus points 😀
From the mixing of the dough till getting the egg custard prepared, i personally felt this was a recipe that was fuss free, nothing too fancy and over the top and most importantly, not many things to wash up
(how i hate washing)
(Adapted from Hei mama & smallsmallbaker)
Yields 18 Tarts (Depending on your tart size)
- 120g sugar
- 350g water
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g evaporated milk
1. Heat up water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Leave it to cool.
2. Then add in beaten eggs and evaporated milk. Mix well, sieve the egg mixture and set aside.
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tbsp custard powder (i omitted the custard powder totally because i couldn’t justify getting a whole packet of it for just 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp milk powder ( 2 tbsp was a little too over-powdering for a non milk lover like me, reduce or increase at your own discretion)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g butter
- Cut cold butter into small cubes.
- Combine flour, custard powder and milk powder and mix well. Rub in the cold butter, add sugar, mix well and add beaten egg, mix to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate before use. ( i refrigerated mine for about 20 mins just to firm it up for easy handling)
- Divide the pastry dough equally into 18 pieces about 30g each (depending on your mould size). Press the dough into tart moulds evenly.
- Fill into the tarts till 90% full. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 20 mins.
i gave my tarts a couple more mins in the oven for a more even browning.
Anyway be careful when you are transferring your egg tarts from your working bench to your oven. Be sure that the liquid custard do not overflow to the brim of the tart, otherwise, you would have a “caramelized” tart shell
Check out the custardy goodness! Really soft and not too eggy.
Do give this recipe a try! A really simple recipe to satisfy some egg tarts cravings!
Till Then, Happy Baking 😀