Oh boy! Been so busy with school and tonnes of orders. With the Christmas approaching, there’s even more bakes going on! Christmas recipes will be up really soon. Here are some of the bakes or orders i’m really busy working on! My baking schedule is kinda packed all the way till year end but christmas is the season and giving and sharing, and the best way is thru food! 😛
(TOP) 3D Minions for a 6th Birthday Party! 100% fondant minions
(BOTTOM) Blue & White Macarons for a baby shower and a Peach pastry fruit cake(photo credit: Vivian)
Whole Wheat Bun in piggy style, filled with smoked ham and cheese! Awesome goodness packed in a bun!
ok! Enough of my recent bakes and back to the strawberry shortcake. I always digress too much :p
So here’s the deal. I just opened a litre of heavy cream and off course i need to find a way to finish it. Been seeing quite a bit of strawberry at the supermarket so i thought, why not a strawberry shortcake? A great way to get rid of existing heavy cream and the family loves it as well. So here we go:
Yields 3 layers – 8 inch cake
Recipe Adapted from Gourmet Baking
- 6 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- 120 g cake flour, sifted
- 90 g melted butter
- 250g mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 125g sugar
- 625g heavy cream
- Grand Marnier (i just eye ball the amount)
- Fresh sweet strawberries, sliced (set aside some whole ones for decoration)
- Sponge cake: Preheat the oven to 350F and lined three 8″ square pan with parchment paper (If you do not have that many pans, bake them in 1 or 2 pans, than slice)
- Beat the eggs (whole and yolks) with the sugar on a med-high speed until the mixture is very thick and pale (ribbon-stage)
- Incorporate the flour in three addition and fold carefully as not to lose too much air
- Fold in the melted butter until well-mixed
- Divide the batter between two prepared pans and bake it for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Let cool on a wire rack
- Filling: Combine the mascarpone cheese, sugar, heavy cream, and liqueur, and beat until it forms a semi-stiff peak but still has its shine. Use it immediately
- To assemble: Put one layer of cake on a base and spread the filling on top.
- Arrange the strawberry slices and top it with the other cake.
- Spread another thin layer of filling on top and decorate all you wan
i decorated the sides with roasted almond slice and topped the cake with whole fresh strawberries. I decided to leave out the sugar glaze as i thought the strawberry was sweet enough and it only adds to the aesthetic value and doesn’t value add to the flavor. You may glaze if you want too. Just boil water with sugar in the ratio of (2:1)
You may create as many layers as you like and decorate it anyway you want! it’s a really versatile cake to decorate. You may even cube the strawberries for a slightly taller cake! The mascarpone cream cheese added to the frosting really brought the cake to a whole new level. As you all may have noticed, not much sugar was in the frosting thus really suitable even for the older people! It was really a die for. So velvety smooth, with a hint of orange marnier that complements so well with it.
All right! A really quick post as many are asking me for the recipes. Need to get back to my school work and more orders to be completed. Will be back as soon as i’m done with the Christmas bakes! Till then, Happy Baking 🙂