HO HO HO! it’s the season to be JOLLY & MERRY! it’s my favorite season of the year and you have guessed it right! it’s the CHRISTMAS!!
Every year, i try to think of something new that i have not gave to people around me and to me, nothing spells Christmas more than the spirit of giving and sharing! This year i have decided to go bottle style. One main reason is definitely because i hate working around plastics mainly because some items are so small and delicate and my fat hand almost won’t fit into the plastic bags! What a bummer BUT, that’s not going to stop me! Bottles to the rescue. So happy i managed to get these bottles from Daiso, which are almost out of stocks every single time, so when i saw it, all 40 are mine! HAHA
i was browsing thru pages and pages of recipes and decided that granola would be a fantastic idea! Firstly it’s healthy! What a better thing to eat for breakfast or snack on before feasting on Christmas meals! Secondly, it’s really easy to make and i could always whip up a batch anytime i have a meet up and lastly it’s a really versatile recipe where you can almost put anything you like into it! What’s better than having your own customized granola where you only have your favorite fruits and nuts and not forgetting only adding spices that you like?
So, if you are all about customizing your own granola, this is the right recipe for you!
Yields 3 bottles, roughly 6 cups
Recipe adapted from Let’s Feast
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw nuts of choice, chopped (if nuts are already toasted, toss them in only after baking) (You could mix different kind of nuts as well)
- **1 cup shredded or flaked coconut (you could bake them together with the oats or you could just toss them in at the end)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup light flavoured oil such as grapeseed or canola
- 1 egg white
Spices: You may use a combination of these or any others that take your fancy
- ¼ tspn cinnamon
- ¼ tspn nutmeg
- ¼ tspn allspice
- ¼ tspn ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
Add in at the end just before packaging
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup dried fruit of choice
- ** Shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 150c.
- Mix together the oats, nuts (although don’t add these now if you are using nuts that are already roasted … add them at the end with the dried fruit), spices, salt and coconut.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup or honey, brown sugar and oil. Now pour this liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and thoroughly stir to make sure it’s all coated.
- Give the egg white a quick whisk until it’s just foamy and add this to the mix. Spread the granola out on an oven tray and bake for 35-45 minutes until it’s light golden brown, keep an eye on it towards the end of cooking time as it burns quickly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave it to cool. At this stage, the granola will feel soft
- Just leave it alone until it’s completely cool and has magically turned crunchy, then break it up into bite sized chunks and then gently toss through the dried fruit (and roasted nuts if you haven’t already added them beforehand in their raw state).
- Store in an airtight container. Lasts for a couple of weeks.
Enjoy baking them people!