Who wouldn’t love a nice crackling piece of roasted pork belly?!
The family are in love with a good piece of roasted pork belly. Who doesn’t right? And to me, it’s a nice crackling, crispy skin, a layer of fat followed by soft bones encased in the meat!
Yields 2kg Slab of Meat
- 2 kg Pork Belly, Skin On
- 2 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
Marinate pork with:
- 2 Tablespoons Salt (To be applied on the skin)
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Big Cubes Of Fermented Bean Curd (i use the red ones)
- 1 Tablespoon Five Spice Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- Wash and dry meat
- Mix all the marinate together excluding salt. Slit or poke holes on the pork [excluding the skin] and marinate it. (I marinated overnight, a couple of hours is fine too)
- Stab pork skin and rub salt on it (this process is to dry out the skin and remove excess moisture)
- Leave it uncovered in the fridge
- Remove from the fridge an hour before roasting
- Bake at 200 degree for 20 mins on top n bottom heat, applying the vinegar on the skin every 20 mins or so
- Continue baking on grill mode for an hour or more depending on size of slab.
** I depended on my meat thermometer to tell if the pork is cooked!
This is how i roast my pork in the oven. i lay the slab of meat on a cooling rack. i thought that was a perfect way for me, without the bottom being too soggy
Now, let’s ready for some serious chopping! Gentle reminder, cover whatever that is near you with some newspaper!
Check out those inter layers of cracking skin, meat and fats! i think it’s really important to know your butcher! Get a nice cut which has a nice portion of each layers. i do not recommend using frozen pork, but if that’s all you can get your hands on, by all means do it!
*Thumbs up given by the family*