Key Lime & Graham Cracker Gelato :p :p :p
The weather has been really erratic lately! It is scorching hot and i’m dying to make some ice-cream and of course, it does help when i just received a couple of new ice cream recipe book that i ordered from amazon! i love receiving new parcels from Mr Postman! i can never remember what have i ordered most of the time, thus these parcels always come as surprises 😀
Back to ice-cream! i ♥♥♥♥ ice-cream. i can have it on a daily basis if not for the fact that i would have to die of diabetes!
What’s better than a tangy and refreshing ice cream, with bits and pieces of graham cracker?! Being the usual lime lover, i had to get this ice cream going almost immediately after i saw it. it’s actually a pretty easy recipe and these are the regular ingredients i would have in my chiller.
Adapted from Ciao Bella
Yields 1 pint
- 2 Cups of Full Cream milk
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 2/3 Cups of Sugar
- Zest of 3 Key Lime (i love the zest! You could reduce if you do not like that much zest)
- 5 TBSP of Lime Juice
- ~6 Pieces of Crush Graham Crackers (i love more of these in mine. You could reduce)
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, combine milk and cream
- Place over medium heat and cook, constantly stirring the mixture to prevent the mixture from forming a skin, until tiny bubbles start to form
- Meanwhile in a heat proof bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until mixture is thick and pale
- Temper the egg yolk mixture by gradually pouring the heated milk and cream, whisking as you add them in
- Return the custard to the sauce pan, cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon till mixture coats the back of the spoon
- Pour mixture thru a mesh and let it cool to room temperature
- Once mixture is cooled, add in lime zest, lime juice and chill mixture for a couple of hours or overnight
- Churn mixture accordingly to your ice cream maker (i’m using the Kitchenmaid ice-cream attachment)
- Once ice-cream is almost done churning, add in graham cracker
- Transfer to air tight container and freeze overnight (i’m using a tovolo Glide-A-Scoop ice-cream tub)
Getting juice out of the lime has never been that easy! Using the citrus reamer from Tovolo
Look how easy it is to get a perfect tub of ice cream at home
Start churning away
♥♥♥ how i get a bit of everything in each scoop!
i was literally sitting there waiting for the ice cream to melt to get this shot! 😀
Love the ice cream scoop from Tovolo. it provides the perfect scoop and keep counters clean.
Get churning people! i need a scoop of this now as i’m typing this post out!